On this episode of Nuketown Radio Active I celebrate Nuketown’s re-ignition, meet Bob the Seeing Eye Puppy and talk about my evolution into a geek who loves the outdoors.
I also ruminate on three games I’m playing now:
- Destiny 2: A massively multiplayer first-person shooter by the creators of Halo.
- Skyrim: Special Edition: An open world sandbox game set in a Nordic fantasy world.
- Delta Green: A pen-and-paper roleplaying game that combines conspiracy with occult horror.
Getting the Show
- The new Nuketown is live.
- Look for content updates a few times a week.
- Dicember 2017 (Thanks Tales from a GM!)
- Experimenting with Google Adsense, so if advertising gets annoying, let me know at email@example.com.
- Still need podcast promos.
- What about Bob?
- We have a new Seeing Eye puppy: Bob! A male German Shepherd.
- Super sweet, super smart, and man does he have a sniffer.
- Hank, our lab/golden mix, goes back in January
- Is any body out there?
- Like many geeks, I used to pride myself on how little time I spent outside.
- That’s changed over the years. My day job in web development keeps me in front of technology every day. It’s fun … but I need a break.
- Spending time on Lake Champlain each summer, reading books and hanging out with the family, made me appreciate the outdoors.
- Now that my son’s in Boy Scouts, I spend even more time outside … and I’m liking it even more.
- There’s a new set of skills to be learned (and what geek doesn’t enjoy that?). In fact, it’s everything our fictional heroes do!
- Camping, hiking, cooking, tracking, frakking rope, orienteering … everything my D&D characters did for years (though admittedly with fewer monsters)
- Think of it as applied geekery.
- It’s good to get away from it all for a few days, listen to the wind, watch the stars … and read my D&D book or a new science fiction novel (what, you didn’t think I was going to leave the geek behind, did you?)
- I recommend trying it. You might surprise yourself.
- Is any body out there?
What I’m Playing Now
- Destiny 2
- First person shooter from the makers of Halo, that feels an awfully lot like an over-sized Halo.
- Working at finding the time to play the game with friends. Finding that time is hard. Some might say too hard.
- Waiting to review it until I’ve cleared the introductory game and gotten to play a few of the advanced options with my friends.
- Makes me wish that Borderlands 3 is out, but that is a game for another day.
- Skyrim: Special Edition
- Enhanced graphics with all of the Skyrim DLC
- Just when I thought I was out … they pull me back in
- Getting to play all the stuff I didn’t get to play when my Xbox 360 died.
- Survival mode isn’t nearly as much fun as in Fallout 4
- heat and cold is fun, but the fact that it lets you save at any time takes something away from it
- Switched back to regular mode; having fun exploring Solstheim from the Dragonborn expansion
- Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
- Development of the game continues … albeit slowly.
- Agent’s Guide has been out in print and PDF for a while. Case Officer’s Guide was just released in PDF.
- Still waiting for my print version to arrive thanks to the Kickstarter, but got to play it at MEPACon Fall 2017.
- Based on the familiar d100 system from Call of Cthulhu
- Game incorporates bonds with significant others in your character’s life (co-workers, ex-spouses, children). Those bonds can be used to save your sanity … at the cost of your relationships.
- Audio and text comments always welcome!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nuketownsf
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nuketownsf
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS