Quilleron is my second-ever character for D&D 4E (Field General Zhoran, a dwarven warlord, was my first) and the first I was able to run as a player. He was designed as a giant-killer for my gaming group’s Revenge of the Giants campaign. You can read more about my thoughts on returning to D&D 4E in “D&D 4th Edition: A Player’s Perspective”.
Quilleron is a solitary, vengeful hero whose Eladrin parents were slaughtered by giants when he was a child, leaving him to be raised by human warrior-monks in a remote mountaintop monastery. He swore his life to vengeance and the monks, seeing his natural skill in tracking, combat and athletics, encouraged this. They trained him as a weapon, and then unleashed him on the horrors that lurk in the night.
In the long years since, Quilleron has stalked the back roads, killing the monsters who would prey on travelers, pilgrims, and other such innocents. In time he came to realize that the monsters in the darkness were not the only ones that existed. His infrequent forays into the villages and towns along the ancient roads revealed that other horrors could be found basking in the light of civilization. He swore to end them as well.
The elandrin took on bounties, and for the first time found himself working alongside others looking to push back the darkness. These others had skills and graces that he did not. Working with them often meant a quicker end to his enemies, particularly when those enemies banded together to fight back. The fools. He now spends half is time hunting his quarry alone through the woods, mountains and underdark, but when he finds something too powerful for him to take down on his own, he knows he has … friends … he can rely on to confront it.
Inspiration & Character Design
Quilleron’s inspiration is somewhere between Batman and Wolverine, though probably closer to the later than the former. I see him like Wolverine in that he’ll work with a team (and take advantage of that team when necessary) but still has the deep seated need to stalk off into the woods and kill something occasionally.
Quilleron’s powers, feats and magic items are oriented toward targeting a single enemy and taking it down. He’s all about movement on the battle field; his high Dex means he’s fairly fast (Initiative +10) but his feats are more about making sure he can always move (Agile Athlete lets him re-roll Acrobatics and Athletics checks, Inexorable Pursuit allows him to ignore difficult terrain while charging his quarry). He’s also got a touch of ranger; I took the range multi-class feat, which gains him the Hunter’s Quarry power once per encounter (allowing him to deal extra damage to a single opponent) and access to ranger skills (Nature).
- Level 12
- Avenger, Oathsworn
- Build: Pursuing Avenger
- Avenger’s Censure: Censure of Pursuit
- Str 15, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 14, Wis 19, Cha 11.
- AC: 28 Fort: 21 Reflex: 23 Will: 24 HP: 93 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 23
- Stealth +18, Religion +13, Athletics +16, Perception +17, Acrobatics +15, Nature +15
- Arcana +10, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +7, Heal +10, History +10, Insight +10, Intimidate +6, Streetwise +6, Thievery +10
- Level 1: Invigorating Pursuit
- Level 2: Improved Armor of Faith
- Level 4: Defender of the Wild
- Level 6: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
- Level 8: Defensive Mobility
- Level 10: Alertness
- Level 11: Inexorable Pursuit
- Level 12: Agile Athlete
- Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
- Avenger at-will 1: Bond of Pursuit
- Avenger encounter 1: Whirlwind Charge
- Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
- Avenger utility 2: Refocus Enmity
- Avenger encounter 3: Sequestering Strike
- Avenger daily 5: Executioner’s Cloak
- Avenger utility 6: Aspect of Agility
- Avenger encounter 7: Avenging Winds
- Avenger daily 9: Aspect of Speed
- Avenger utility 10: River of Life
- Mundane Items: Crossbow, Backpack (empty), Bedroll, Climber’s Kit, Flask (empty), Flint and Steel, Journeybread, Lantern, Oil (1 pint), Pouch, Belt (empty), Rope, Silk (50 ft.), Sunrod (2), Torch (5)
- Magical Weapons & Armor: Sylvan Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3, Jagged Longsword +3, Magic Holy Symbol +3, Boots of Free Movement (heroic tier) (2), Cloak of Resistance +2 (2), Bracers of Defense (heroic tier),Prime Shot Handaxe +1
- Expendable Items: Potion of Clarity (level 10) (2), Elixir of Speed (paragon tier), Elixir of Will (level 8 ), Elixir of Reflexes (level 8 ), Elixir of Fortitude (level 8 ), Elixir of Accuracy (level 8 ), Potion of Healing (heroic tier)