The last Ornament-a-Day entry is dedicated to the only geeky ornament left on the family tree: 2012’s Darth Vader Peekbuster. Given that the family tree is where the wrapped family presents go and since this Vader is designed to detect and scold would-be present peekers, it’s entirely appropriate.
This battery-powered, Christmas-themed Vader wears his traditional black armor but has red gloves and a red cape. When turned on, Vadar’s motion sensor detects when objects (usually people, occasionally dogs) move in front of it. He then says things like:
- “Your feelings for these presents are strong. Too strong, perhaps.”
- “Peek again, and you’ll feel the full power of the dark side.”
- “No peeking. There will be a substantial reward for your patience. “
- “I find your lack of patience disturbing.”
- “You will peek again. It is your destiny.”
It’s a cute ornament, but given the amount of traffic that passes in front of the family Christmas tree, it’s not a practical one (which, of course, sums up most of my geeky ornaments, regardless of what tree they are on).