Nuketown social media posts for April, May, and a good chunk of June 2022.
ARCHEOLOGY | CNN – Ancient altar rediscovered in Jerusalem’s Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- Stashing this away for when I return to my Weird Pulp campaign.
FICTION | CNN – In new pandemic novel, ‘Station Eleven’ author explores how the apocalypse is always now
- Potential fodder for my summer reading list.
GAMES | Gizmodo – It’s Time for Dragon Age to Get Its Moment in the Sun Again
- Played the heck out of the first one, less so the second, and life kept distracting me from the third. All that having been said … I’d love to return to that setting. I’ve got a ton of great memories of blood-splattered dialogue. 🙂
HISTORY | CNN – ‘Fish lizard’ fossils found in Swiss Alps belonged to some of the largest creatures that ever lived
- “Giant Fish Lizard” sounds like an excellent D&D monster
HOAXES | FactCheck – McDonald’s Ice Cream Isn’t Toxic for Dogs, Contrary to Viral Posts
- My first Labrador Retriever of my adult life, Madison aka Mad Dog, loved vanilla ice cream (including McDonald’s ice cream). She lived to be 14.
RPG | EN-WORLD – D&D 5E Hasbro Acquires D&D Beyond For $146M
- I’m curious as to what impact this will have on print+PDF bundles. It’d be super great to be able to buy a book once…
RPG | Marvel – Get a First Look at the New Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game
- The playtest rulebook, which uses the “All-New, All-Different d616 system” was released in April. This article includes an interview with game designer Matt Forbeck. On a separate but related note, David Moore and I interviewed Matt Forbeck and his son Marty back about their Shotguns and Sorcery Kickstarter on Season 2, Episode 1 of the Lair of Secrets.
PODCAST | Lair of Secrets – S2E14 Scum and Villainy Actual Play, Chapter 4
- The actual play adventure continues!
PODCAST | Lair of Secrets – S2E15 Talking with the Younger Generation
- On this episode, David and I talk with David’s daughter about her experiencse with Dungeons & Dragons and role-playing.
SPACE | CNN – Hubble spies stellar ‘ghost’ wandering the Milky Way galaxy
- Some ghosts go bump in the night. Others – like black holes – devour the night … and anything else they encounter.
SPACE | CNN – Hubble identifies unusual wrinkle in expansion rate of the universe
- Hubble identified “a difference between the expansion rate of the local universe versus that of the distant universe right after the big bang.”
SPACE | CNN – Webb telescope’s massive mirror hit by micrometeoroid
- Fortunately, the impact on the telescope is minor.
SPACE | CNN – New NASA spacecraft could survive a hellish descent on Venus
- The spacecraft will do an extensive analysis of the Venesian atmosphere before dropping a probe to the surface. This quote sums up just how hellish the surface of Venus is: If we survive the touchdown at about 25 miles per hour (11 meters/second), we could have up to 17-18 minutes of operations on the surface under ideal conditions.”
SPACE | CNN – NASA’s InSight lander just detected the biggest quake on Mars
- There’s a whole lot of shaking going on.
TECH | CNN Apple is discontinuing its last iPod model
- Podcasts have lasted longer than the device that inspired them.
Featured Image Meta
Artwork from Dragon Age: Inquisition. Credit: Bioware.