After slumbering for four years, Nuketown Radio Active returns to find a world transformed.
In this show I’ll get up to speed on what’s changed around the ol’thermonuclear burg, and what you can expect to see in the future. I talk about the role-playing games and video games I’m currently playing, and introduce the audience to my family’s newest project: raising a Seeing Eye puppy named Hank.
Getting the Show
- I’m a married 45-year-old geek dad with two kids (StarGirl, 13, and NeutronLad, 10).
- I’m the director of web development at a small liberal arts college, which means I do far more project management than programming.
- I’m the Cubmaster for my son’s Cub Scout pack and I coach his baseball team in the spring.
- Still writing for Knights of the Dinner Table!
- My family and I are raising a Seeing Eye puppy named Hank. But more on that later.
- The redesigned Nuketown
- Somethings are the same but different. On Radio Active #86, I’d just redesigned Nuketown and gone from Drupal 6 to 7. This time, I’ve redesigned Nuketown and gone from Drupal 7 to WordPress … a far greater leap.
- WordPress is our de facto content management system at work. It also works better for what I need:
- Quick hit editing
- Streamlined podcasting
- Nicer looking themes
- Entire site has been overhauled and every post has been touched — sometimes for light editing, other times for updated or new photos.
- Lots changed, lots has broken but there are also considerable improvements (e.g. the site runs under https; we have a standing site map now, I’m not getting spammed by infinite monkeys trying to create accounts)
- Some new features
- Picture a Day
- Project work
- The Testing Range podcast
- Your podcast promo could be here! Send it to email@example.com.
My Gaming Life
- RPGs: Four years ago we were playing Pathfinder. Now we have two “playtest” D&D 5th Edition games going … and we’re loving it. Also run Savage Worlds from time to time.
- Consoles: The Xbox 360 has been supplanted by an Xbox One (though the old 360 dinosaur is still around). The Playstation 3 up and died one day and was replaced by a PS4.
- Xbox One: Playing Fallout 4 in Survival mode and Gears of War 3.
- PS4: Just finished Uncharted 4, looking forward to Mass Effect: Andromeda.
- Conventions: I’m going to MEPACon Spring 2017 in Scranton, Pa. It’s our regions biannual convention, and always a good time.
- Yep. We’ve got space for TWO promos. Send yours to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My family and I are raising Hank, a male golden retriever/Labrador retriever mix, for the Seeing Eye.
- The Seeing Eye, based out of Morristown, N.J., raises and trains guide dogs for the blind and visually impaired.
- I got into it because my parents raised 3 when I was a kid. Took two years to convince our kids this would be fun (they didn’t want to give up the puppy).
- We have the puppies for a year, training them in basic obedience and socialization.
- Hank is our second puppy; we raised Olaf, a male German Shepherd, the first time around.
- It’s a tremendous amount of work, but it’s also a lot of fun. The dogs go to a lot of interesting places (airports, baseball games, bowling alleys, etc.) and usually spend several days a week with me at work.
- Learn more at http://seeingeye.org.
- Audio and text comments always welcome! Podcast promos especially needed!
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nukehavoc
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nuketownsf
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS