News of the new science fiction webzine SpaceWesterns.com opening for submissions leads off Radio Active #47 as I’m not only a fan of the zine, but one of the volunteers helping to read through its slush pile. The mail bag has responses on my debate over getting a notebook vs. a desktop computer, and as that debate draws to a close I spend some time geeking out over my latest web toy, Twitter.
In Netheads, I take a look at the Steve Jackson Games official Fnordcast and Roll 2d6 in a Random Direction podcasts and discuss the new Double 0 RPG beta. This week’s musical interlude is provided by the band Boxed Octopus and their geek song “Science Boy”.
Get the Podcast
There are several ways to get the podcast:
- Nuketown News
- Editor N.E. Lilly has opened SpaceWesterns.com to submissions. He’s looking for — you guessed it — space westerns. Think Firefly, but also think of other future western mashups. They’re “especially interested in exploring Chinese, Irish/Gaelic, Native American, Spanish, and African/African-American influences on the West, in addition to the traditional Western WASP outlook.” Space operas and steampunk are also possible.
- They’re also looking for space western reviews and non-fiction articles.
- I’ll be helping out with the fiction slush pile. And this might — just might — inspire me to start publishing fiction on Nuketown again.
- The new machine will be a complete replacement for the old one, so it’s either a laptop or a desktop, not both, which adds to my dilemma.
- Leaning heavily toward getting a low end Mac Book Pro with an upsized 200 GB hard-drive so I can run Windows on Boot Camp out of the gate with perhaps a 50 GB partition. Expect to use the machine to increase the number of Windows-based game reviews I do, something I haven’t done in years.
- Speaking of Doug, he got me into Twitter, which is like public IM/microblogging/online mobbing all rolled into one.
- Looks to have great practical use at cons — love to use this with the GenCon crowd, and there’s some talk of doing something through ConLive.
- Otherwise it’s just a micro-distraction, but an amusing one.
- SpaceWesterns.com Open to Submissions
- Feedback on Laptops vs. Desktops from Doug at Geek Acres
- RPG Podcasters Blatherfeed
- “Science Boy” by Boxed Octopus.
- Courtesy the Podshow.com
- Learn more.
- Net News
- Official goodness from the creators of GURPS and Munchkin. Expect talk about game theory and previews of upcoming products.
- Conversations about gaming, the business of gaming, styles of play, and much more. I’ve only listened to Episode 14, but it got me hooked. Co-host Chris Hanrahan is also a host of Ogre Cave Audio Report, another show I enjoy.
- The Official Steve Jackson Games Fnordcast
- Double 0: A modern recreation of a certain percentile based espionage game from years ago. A draft of the mutated roles is available in the Grizzly Wiki:
- 2d6 Feet in a Random Direction
- GBN: Goblin Broadcast Network
- Coming up:
- Kids and games.
- Book reviews of Jupiter and Learning the World.
- Game review of The Book of Nine Swords martial supplement for D&D.
- Music by George Hrab (via Podshow)
- Contact Info: