One of my upcoming “Summon WebScryer” columns for Knights of the Dinner Table is going to be on geek holidays, those annual events of keen interest to (and usually created by) geeks. Knowledge of these events is usually spread online, and they’re frequently the subject of Facebook updates, Twitter tweets, and blog posts, not to mention more than a few podcasts. Here’s my preliminary list … what am I missing?
- Free Comic Book Day: Free comics books from Marvel, DC Comics, Dark Horse, Archie and others.
- Free RPG Day: Free role-playing games from major and minor publishers.
- Read an RPG Book in Public Week: Promote role-playing game awareness by reading an RPG book in public.
- Game Master’s Day: Reward your GM for all the work he or she does in running your campaign.
- National Novel Writing Month: Write a 50,000 page novel in one month.
- Game Chef: Craft a role-playing game on a given subject in one month.
- 24 Hour RPG: Write a complete role-playing game in one day.
- Towel Day: Honoring Douglas Adams.
- International Speak Like a Pirate Day: Self explanatory.