Show #16 features news about the Radio Active theme song (well, news that we're looking for one), a look at the Yog Radio Podcast, some thoughts on hotdogs, buns and the free market, and a comparison of the similarly themed (and similarly mediocre) new science fiction series Invasion and Surface.
Getting the Podcast
You can get the podcast in two ways:
- Download the MP3 directly
- Subscribe to the podcast rss feed using an aggregator (you only need to do this once; subsequent shows should download automatically)
- Show News
- TSFPN Sweeper
- Podcasts of Note
- Yog Radio
- Web Site
- Call of Cthulhu Podcast features a round up of site news and forum posts as well as reviews.
- Show #1 includes a review of Fantasy Flight Games' Arkham Horror and the latest Chaosium news.
- Always looking for more shows to promote/review; so e-mail 'em to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Freedom Ad: Hotdogs & Buns
- www.FreedomAds.org by the Institute for Humane Studies
- Invasion of the Surface
- obligatory un-updated show blog:
- and the obligatory un-updated show blog:
- Thoughts on the Shows
- Surface seems nominally better, but perhaps that's just because it's reminicent of The Abyss, and I liked that movie.
- Neither seem particularly compelling or deep -- the characters are just ... there. It's like each is following a near identical formula to try and arrive at suspense: sizable cast of appealing characters (with a few kids thrown in); strange, unexplained phenomenon, and lots of weird happenings on/in/near water.
- But for suspense to work you need to care about the characters AND the conspiracy. BSG is suspenseful. Lost is suspenseful. These shows seem ponderous.
- And their blogs are lame. Invasions is slightly less lame, since they actually have more than one entry, but both appear to be some brilliant idea thought up by marketing independently of the creative team. If done well (yeah, like that's going to happen) they could provide a "I Love Bees" angle on each series, providing additional depth. Hell, it would have been cool to see these written by a non-main character that BECAME a main character because of the blog. Instead, we get updates (surprise, surprise) when the show gets updated.
- Contacting Nuketown