by Ken Newquist / July 6, 2008
Here's my summer reading list, as discussed in Radio Active #69, broken out for easy reference (by me). Got a summer reading list? Don't have one? Wish you had the time for one? Nuketown wants to know: vote in our poll!
- The Last Colony by John Scalzi - A novel of intergalactic intrigue featuring the main characters from Scalzi's Old Man's War and Ghost Brigades
- Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson - adventures in science during the Age of Enlightenment
- The Golden Globe by John Varley - Humans get kicked off Earth by aliens and are forced to live at the edge of the solar system.
- The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Le Guin - A man's dreams can reshape reality.
- The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman - A young girl explores alternate realities, and tries to evade her world's religious dictators.
- Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind - A simple woodsman becomes the savior of the world when.
- The Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. Howard - three Conan novellas.
- Robert E. Howard's Weird Works Volume 2: Moon Of Skull - Tales of the weird (including the namesake tale featuring the Purtian warrior Soloman Kane) by the creator of Conan.
- 7th Son by J.C. Hutchins - Seven clones have to hunt down their progenitor, Johnny Alpha who's assasinated the president as prelude to an even more destructive master plan.
- The Far Side of the World by Patrick O'Brian: British captain Jack Aubrey and his friend, spy and ship's doctor Stephen Maturin sail to the Pacific on the H.M.S. Surprise to intercept and destroy an American frigate preying on British shipping.
- Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card - The final book of Card's follow-up books to Ender's Game, which tell the story of what happens on Earth after Ender commits xenocide against the alien Buggers.